||University of Massachusetts Lowell
Career Services and Cooperative Education Center
Student Agreement for Online Professional Alumni Networking
I am preparing to conduct professional interactions for which I will be held to high ethical standards and responsibility. My actions reflect upon me, my fellow students and the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
UMass Lowell’s Career Services Office is committed to helping me develop the professional skills necessary to succeed in developing professional connections. To that end, the following principles have been established to ensure my professionalism during the online professional networking process. I understand I am expected to adhere to these principles in all of my online interactions as well as on and off campus, with alumni volunteers, employers, community members and any other student, faculty or staff member of the UMass Lowell community.
I understand that communicating and presenting myself professionally and courteously in dealings with others (in person, in writing, by phone or email) is critical in my networking process. Therefore, I will:
• Monitor publicly available content by and about me (text, voice and picture), including content on personal blogs and social networking sites, and make reasonable efforts to remove material professionals may deem inappropriate or unprofessional.
• Acknowledge calls, emails and invitations and respond appropriately in a timely manner.
• Attend all networking and other interactions with alums and other professionals (including job interviews, information sessions, employer site visits and career fairs) that I have scheduled. I will provide at least two business days notice for any cancellation, if possible. If I must cancel, I will send an appropriate message of apology.
Professional Networking Policies
I will stay informed about professional networking by reading Career Services’ Networking Resources website and its “Agreement for Online Professional Alumni Networking” available at http://career.uml.edu. I will:
• Not ask for a job or internship, but will ask for advice, information, and other contacts.
• Follow-up with a brief thank you letter after networking with an individual.
• Not spam a contact with multiple e-mails or multiple phone calls.
• Not ask a networking contact to mass distribute my resume.
• Not share networking contacts’ information with others unless I have their explicit permission.
Consequences of Improper Behavior
Failure to adhere to this Agreement may result in:
• Removal from the UMass Lowell Career Connection Networking Group on LinkedIn.
• Revocation of access to UMass Lowell’s Career Services products and services.
• Referral to the Director of Student Development and Campus Conduct, within the Dean of Students Office.
**COMPLETING AND SUBMITTING THIS DOCUMENT SERVES AS MY SIGNATURE AND MY AGREEMENT TO ADHERE TO THE ABOVE GUIDELINES REQUIRED TO CONDUCT MYSELF WITH INTEGRITY IN A PROFESSIONAL AND SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE MANNER. I ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE CONSEQUENCES OF INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR.**